[U-Boot-Users] questions regarding support for new command (getspr/setspr)

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Jan 28 10:20:09 CET 2004

In message <D8A54727-5154-11D8-A361-000393DBC2E8 at motorola.com> you wrote:
> I was wondering if it was considered useful to extend the
> CFG_CMD_SETGETDCR done by Erik Theisen for DCR registers on the 4xx
> family to all PowerPC products for SPRs (CFG_CMD_SETGETSPR).

That would be useful.

> 1. Is it ok that the command does not do any checking on the SPR
> number.  This is quick difficult and would have to be done per
> processor since what SPRs exists is implementation specific.  If the
> user gives the commands an SPR that does not exist the result is going
> to be some exception (is this ok)

IMHO only valid SPRs should be accepted. Yes, this requires processor
specific code.

> 2. What numerical format should the spr number for the command be taken
> in?  My think is decimal

The format should be string (i. e. register NAME). For SPRs without a
name and/or alternatively a decimal number is ok. Without a  register
name/number  the  "get"  command should print all known SPR's on that
processor.

> 3. For setspr what numerical format should the spr value be taken in?
> My thinking is hex

Hex like all standard input data in U-Boot.

> 4. For getspr what numerical format should the spr be printed in? My
> thinking is hex

The register name should be string plus  decimal  number;  the  value
should be hex.

> If so, I will fixup my working patch and submit it once I get answers
> to the questions.

Thanks in advance.

See us @ Embedded World, Nuremberg, Feb 17 - 19,  Hall 12.0 Booth 440
Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
Ernest asks Frank how long he has been working for the company.
        "Ever since they threatened to fire me."