[U-Boot-Users] Debugging u-boot goes to 0x70c (Program exception)

Shawn shawnxtech at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 1 00:09:15 CEST 2004

Hi,

I have problem in flash_init() to get correct manufacturer's ID. So I
want to debug the function.

Once I set a breakpoint at flash_init() and issue a continue command, gdb
always shows that the program stops at 0x0000070c, which means a program
exception. A program exception can be caused by an illegal instruction, a
privileged instruction, or a trap. I don't know which caused this
exception in my case. I'm wondering it may not be u-boot itself but the
way I'm debugging that caused this exception. So I attached the whole
procedure I did, not very much long. Would anybody give me some hints?
Thanks a lot.

-Shawn.

% ppc_82xx-gdb u-boot
GNU gdb 5.1.1
are
conditions.
details.
This GDB was configured as "--host=i386-redhat-linux
--target=ppc-linux"...
0xfff00100 in ?? ()

(gdb) mon bi 0xffe00100
Breakpoint identification is 0
(gdb) mon go
(gdb) mon ci
(gdb) symbol-file
Discard symbol table from `/u/code/u-boot-1.1.1/u-boot'? (y or n) y
No symbol file now.
(gdb) add-symbol-file u-boot 0x7fd9000
add symbol table from file "u-boot" at
        .text_addr = 0x7fd9000
(y or n) y
Reading symbols from u-boot...done.
(gdb) b board_init_r
Breakpoint 1 at 0x7fdc9b4: file board.c, line 566.
(gdb) d
Delete all breakpoints? (y or n) y
(gdb) mon bi 0x7fdc9b4
Breakpoint identification is 0
(gdb) c
Continuing.

Program received signal SIGTRAP, Trace/breakpoint trap.
board_init_r (id=0x7fa8f98, dest_addr=0x7fd9000) at board.c:566
566             gd = id;                /* initialize RAM version of
global data
 */
(gdb) mon break soft
(gdb) b flash_init
Breakpoint 2 at 0x7fe1254: file flash.c, line 126.
(gdb) c
Continuing.

Program received signal SIGSTOP, Stopped (signal).
0x0000070c in ?? ()
(gdb)

U-Boot 1.1.1 (Jun 22 2004 - 15:49:59)

CPU:   MPC8245 Revision 1.2 at 249.999 MHz: 16 kB I-Cache 16 kB D-Cache
Board: MP8245, local bus @ 99.999 MHz
DRAM:  128 MB
Top of RAM usable for U-Boot at: 08000000
Reserving 152k for U-Boot at: 07fd9000
Reserving 192k for malloc() at: 07fa9000
Reserving 56 Bytes for Board Info at: 07fa8fc8
Reserving 48 Bytes for Global Data at: 07fa8f98
Stack Pointer at: 07fa8f78
New Stack Pointer is: 07fa8f78
Now running in RAM - U-Boot at: 07fd9000
FLASH: