[U-Boot-Users] Re: getting u-boot on the mv64360

Amit Shah amitshah at gmx.net
Wed Jul 7 10:49:38 CEST 2004

Hi Wolfgang,

Wolfgang Denk wrote:

> In message <ccebh8$j6f$1 at sea.gmane.org> you wrote:
>>
>> I have an MV64360 board (IBM dev brd), that has PIBS on it. What's the
>> best way to use u-boot with it?
>
> Erase PIBS and install U-Boot instead ;-)

heh, I would, if I had an exit-route in case u-boot didn't work for some
reason (linker script fsck-up, etc.)

>> I compiled u-boot with powepc-gcc-3.3.4 (compiled via crosstool), but
>> PIBS fails to load the binary (.bin). (In fact, PIBS doesn't recognize
>> any of the binaries).
>
> Then find out what PIBS expects.

Yes, but even putting the modified PIBS on the board is scary... w/o a BDI.
The docs say it supports .bin files, but the sources don't. It says it
supports ELF, but hangs on some relocation. No idea where it dies.. it just
stalls.

>> So what's the recommended way? Should I put u-boot on the flash,
>> overwriting
>
> Yes.
>
>> PIBS? And since I don't have a BDI cable, how can I put u-boot on the
>> board?
>
> Get a BDI2000; the box also includes the required cable.

Yup; I hope the "higher levels" clear it soon enough ;-)

> Best regards,
>
> Wolfgang Denk

Thanks,
Amit.