[U-Boot-Users] SDRam check

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Jul 9 23:02:52 CEST 2004

In message <BAY2-F24TSBmf81DMee0003463d at hotmail.com> you wrote:

> The u-boot starts fine on my walnut board and runs hello_world fine on that
> board. Does that mean the SDRAM settings are just fine? Since my linux

No, it does not.

> kernel stops somewhere, I have to find a way to make sure the SDRAM runs OK.

The only real challenging test is to run Linux :-) No other test I've
seen so far loads the system in a comparable way, especially when you
have the root filesystem mounted  over  NFS,  so  a  lot  of  network
traffic (= DMA) is going on all the time.

All other tests more or  less  boil  down  to  simple  read  /  write
accesses;  this  is  fine  to  detect real hardware problems, but not
sufficient to verify that burst mode accesses work reliably.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply  to  serve  as  a
warning to others.