[U-Boot-Users] uboot support for USB DFU protocol

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Jul 14 22:03:46 CEST 2004

In message <40F4D16F.30607 at magellan-technology.com> you wrote:

> Can I use the USB *device* port to load a binary image (uImage) into my
> development board?

Not without adding such driver support.

> i.e. does u-boot support the USB DFU (Device Firmware Upgrade) protocol?

No.

> I know that the AT91RM9200 has support for USB DFU in its internal boot
> ROM, but I'd like to use uboot to load the image via image from a file
> server - similar to the way I would do it with tftp.

On the SX1 board we used the USB port to implement a  serial  console
interface;  this  allows for fast downloads using the standard serial
"loadb" and "loads" commands (the "baudrate" parameter does not apply
on such a port).

> If I make a product that has a USB device interface, I'd like to be able
> to upgrade the firmware via that same USB link.

IMHO the probably easiest and most useful way is to implement a USB -
serial console interface.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
I don't want to be young again, I just don't want to get any older.