[U-Boot-Users] vxworks boot loader and u-boot's hello_world

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Jul 14 22:10:39 CEST 2004

In message <20040714125245.96433.qmail at web12821.mail.yahoo.com> you wrote:

> I need a standalone application to run on vxworks boot
> loader , on sbc8260.

No comment. [This is off topic here.]

> I tried to run u-boot example , hello_world , but it
> makes an exception , when tries to access a logical
> address.(MSR says i have supervisior privilege, so
> this is not because of instruction needed privilege)

This cannot work. U-Boot standalone applications cannot be run  in  a
different  environment. They make use of certain services provided by
U-Boot like a  dynamically  linked  application  relies  on  services
provided by some shared libraries.

> I think this is due to lack of logical addresses
> provided by vxworks boot loader, as hello_world is
> configured to use logical addresses provided by
> u-boot.

I don't understand exactly what you mean here, since U-Boot does  not
use any virtual memory, so all addresses are physical addresses only.

> can anyone help me?am i right? can i run any
> standalone application on it?

Define "any standalone application"!

As you have  seen  from  your  test  (which  failed)  the  answer  is
obviously: No, you cannot.

> also vxworks bootloader can not run u-boot elf.why
> this happens?

Because U-boot is a boot loader and not a VxWorks image.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
In an organization, each person rises to the level of his own  incom-
petency                                         - The Peter Principle