[U-Boot-Users] Newbie question - cross

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue Jul 20 01:14:10 CEST 2004

In message <20040719220223.86035.qmail at web61104.mail.yahoo.com> you wrote:

> on my board.  However, this u-boot was built using the
> toolchain provided by Metroworks(gcc version 2.95.3)
> and this toolchain is not under GPL!

You must be joking.  If  this  is  GCC  version  2.95.3  it  MUST  be
availabel under GPL; maybe not the Metroworks proprietary extensions,
but  they  must  offer the sources for the compiler and probably also
for the binutils and libraries.

> My question is can someone point me to a GPL toolchain
> that I can use to build the u-boot for MPC8540?

There are so many of them...

> I have already tried using the croos-toolchain
> provided from kegel.com (gcc-3.3.2-glibc-2.3.2).  I
> use this toolchain to build my linux image and it
> works fine.  However, the u-boot I built using this
> toolchain does not work!  Unfortunately, I don't have

What makes you think the toolchain is to blame for that?

> a BDI debugger to be able to see how far the u-boot
> runs before it hangs!

Then get one. You will need it later anyway.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
      Bugs are by far the largest and  most successful class of
      entity, with nearly a million known species. In this res-
      pect they outnumber all the other  known  creatures about
      four to one.  -- Professor Snope's Encyclopedia of Animal