[U-Boot-Users] Newbie question - cross

Jon Loeliger jdl at freescale.com
Tue Jul 20 16:48:04 CEST 2004

On Mon, 2004-07-19 at 17:02, Reza Salehi wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am newbie to u-boot and linux.  I am working on a
> board that uses MPC8540 and my host environment is Red
> Hat 9.0.  I have a u-boot (ver 1.0.1) that works fine
> on my board.  However, this u-boot was built using the
> toolchain provided by Metroworks(gcc version 2.95.3)
> and this toolchain is not under GPL!

Hmmm... I'll bet it is, actually.

> My question is can someone point me to a GPL toolchain
> that I can use to build the u-boot for MPC8540?

I currently use this for most of my development:

    gcc (GCC) 3.2.2 20030217 (Yellow Dog Linux 3.0 3.2.2-2a)

I have heard a rumor of the current code not compiling
with GCC 2.95, but have not yet had a chance to verify it.
I believe it was a reported problem with an assembler
interpretation of a C macro for the TLB_MAS() handling.
If you are seeing that, just re-join the split lines into
one much larger TLB_MAS3() line and see if that helps.

You should plan on uprev'ing to a modern GCC, of course.

>   Unfortunately, I don't have
> a BDI debugger to be able to see how far the u-boot
> runs before it hangs!

You might consider getting one.

> Thanks in advance for your help,
>
> Reza.