[U-Boot-Users] PPC 8260 Linux boot

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Jul 28 00:13:52 CEST 2004

In message <4105FA9D.30400 at helicontech.co.il> you wrote:

> >>I am trying to boot Linux 2.4.25 (code from denx linux-2-4-devel)
> >>The board is similar to MPC8260ADS
> If it was not IDENTICAL I would not have mentioned this board.

So it is identical? Then why did you write "similar to" in the first place?

And if it's really identical I thinkt  he  standard  MPC8260ADS  code
should work identical, too.

> >Please define "after a short while". Do you see any boot messages  on
> >the  console?  Do you see any messages when you do a post mortem dump
> >of the log_buf memory?
> >[See http://www.denx.de/twiki/bin/view/DULG/LinuxPostMortemAnalysis]
> >

> I do not see any boot messages, I can't exactly define how long it takes
> until the reset
> but it is a very short time that during this time I expected at least
> one line saying this is
> the kernel.

I repeat:

Do you see any messages when you do a post mortem dump of the log_buf
memory?
[See http://www.denx.de/twiki/bin/view/DULG/LinuxPostMortemAnalysis]

????

> I tried removing all my code and tried again, that was the first thing I
> thought
> that maybe I crash the system.
> I tried again and again and the problem was the same.

You cannot make such a claim. The _symptoms_ may have been the  same.
The problem may have been a different one.

> >2) Check your memory map, and the init sequence of  your  SDRAM  [no,
> >   I'm not going to explain this here again. Search the archives.]
> >

> Unfortunatly the archives are not searchable, otherwise that would be
> the first thing I would

The GMANE archive _is_ searchable.

> do, could you give me some hints on what do you mean init sequence of SDRAM?

IO mean the initialization sequence that is required  for  the  SDRAM
chips. In 98% of all porting problems this is the culprit.

> As for the memory map, I made sure I have RAM starting from 0x0000, I
> have 128Mb of RAM.
> The IMMR is set to 0xF0000000.

Did you read the FAQ? How about the "clocks_in_mhz" setting?  Or  the
bd_info structure used by the Linux kernel?

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
Life is a process, not a principle, a mystery  to  be  lived,  not  a
problem to be solved. - Gerard Straub, television producer and author
(stolen from Frank Herbert??)