[U-Boot-Users] PPC 8260 Linux boot

Ori Idan ori at helicontech.co.il
Tue Jul 27 08:47:57 CEST 2004

Thank you for your quick answer.

>>I am trying to boot Linux 2.4.25 (code from denx linux-2-4-devel)
>>The board is similar to MPC8260ADS
>>

>Arghh...  A  description  like  this  is  absolutley   useless,   and
>misleading.  Your probably even fooling yourself. Similar? In that it
>uses the same processor? Or is everything IDENTICAL?

If it was not IDENTICAL I would not have mentioned this board.

>>What happens is that the kernel is starting but after a short while gets
>>an exception and the board is reset again.
>>

>Please define "after a short while". Do you see any boot messages  on
>the  console?  Do you see any messages when you do a post mortem dump
>of the log_buf memory?
>[See http://www.denx.de/twiki/bin/view/DULG/LinuxPostMortemAnalysis]

I do not see any boot messages, I can't exactly define how long it takes
until the reset
but it is a very short time that during this time I expected at least
one line saying this is
the kernel.

>>We tried looking at the kernel sources to see where we get, we did this
>>by lighting hardware LEDS we have on the board.
>>

>I see. Please remove ALL this code and try again. perhaps it is  just
>your  debugging  code  which  crashes  the  system.  [This  has  been
>discussed before, both here and in the linuxppc mailing lists. Search
>the archives.]

I tried removing all my code and tried again, that was the first thing I
thought
that maybe I crash the system.
I tried again and again and the problem was the same.

>>We tried to find where in the kernel we get the exception, we could not
>>find exactly where it happens, but we did find that it happens somewhere
>>in the function prom_init called from early_init inside
>>arch/ppc/kernel/setup.c
>>
>>Does anyone have any idea what we should look next?
>>

>OK, I'll give you two hints:
>
>1) get yourself a BDI2000. You will need it.
>
>2) Check your memory map, and the init sequence of  your  SDRAM  [no,
>   I'm not going to explain this here again. Search the archives.]

Unfortunatly the archives are not searchable, otherwise that would be
the first thing I would
do, could you give me some hints on what do you mean init sequence of SDRAM?
As for the memory map, I made sure I have RAM starting from 0x0000, I
have 128Mb of RAM.
The IMMR is set to 0xF0000000.

--
Ori Idan