[U-Boot-Users] Re: Keeping Console on Serial after LCD Enabled

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Jul 28 10:45:22 CEST 2004

In message <31ADFA827355984B9E2A161514595B561C3313 at lpdsrv04.logicpd.com> you wrote:

> With Himba"s help, I got things running much better for my OMAP 1510
>  Innovator LCD driver U-Boot, but once the LCD comes up (drv_lcd_init
>  finishes), the serial console output is switched off.  I can still issue

... and should get redirected to LCD.

>  commands from my serial console, and have them take effect (like changing a
>  status LCD or turning off the LCD backlight with mm.b), but can"t see any
>  more text output.

You should see it on the LCD now.

>  I tried commenting out
>
>  #ifdef CFG_DEVICE_NULLDEV

Don't do this.

>  Any ideas on how to maintain the serial terminal?  Take note that my driver
>  is very very similar to cpu/mpc8xx/lcd.c, so I do not expect that coding
>  that I did is disabling the serial terminal, but instead some other
>  interaction in the code is doing this.

The normal mode of operation is that when there is  a  LCD  then  the
console output goes to the LCD by default. You can always change this
by  assigning  a different device to the stdout / stderr descriptors.
Either interactively by entering (probably blind)  a  "setend  stdout
serial"  command,  or you can put this command in your CONFIG_PREBOOT
setting.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
I haven't lost my mind -- it's backed up on tape somewhere.