[U-Boot-Users] Re: Keeping Console on Serial after LCD Enabled

Michael Bendzick michaelb at logicpd.com
Wed Jul 28 01:58:08 CEST 2004

("Fake replying" since I can't find my original message as sent back to me
by the listserv)

I figured this issue out, and it was something in the code file that I was
working with, though something I overlooked, not modified.

---------------
Michael Bendzick wrote:

With Himba"s help, I got things running much better for my OMAP 1510
 Innovator LCD driver U-Boot, but once the LCD comes up (drv_lcd_init
 finishes), the serial console output is switched off.  I can still issue
 commands from my serial console, and have them take effect (like changing a
 status LCD or turning off the LCD backlight with mm.b), but can"t see any
 more text output.

 I tried commenting out

 #ifdef CFG_DEVICE_NULLDEV
 	memset (&dev, 0, sizeof (dev));

 	strcpy (dev.name, "nulldev");
 	dev.flags = DEV_FLAGS_OUTPUT | DEV_FLAGS_INPUT | DEV_FLAGS_SYSTEM;
 	dev.putc = nulldev_putc;
 	dev.puts = nulldev_puts;
 	dev.getc = nulldev_input;
 	dev.tstc = nulldev_input;

 	device_register (&dev);
 #endif

 in common/devices.c, as when CONFIG_SPLASH_SCREEN is defined,
 CFG_DEVICE_NULLDEV gets defined, and would appear to reroute console output
 once assigned with dev.putc = serial_putc would now be dev.putc =
 nulldev_putc.  However, this did not change the situation for me at all.

 Any ideas on how to maintain the serial terminal?  Take note that my driver
 is very very similar to cpu/mpc8xx/lcd.c, so I do not expect that coding
 that I did is disabling the serial terminal, but instead some other
 interaction in the code is doing this.

 Thanks,

 -Michael Bendzick
 Systems and Software Engineering