R: [U-Boot-Users] DHCP/BOOTP with CONFIG_NET_MULTI

Figini Enzo enzo.figini at italtel.it
Thu Jul 29 11:43:52 CEST 2004

A proprietary board with MPC8280.
I think to add it to u-boot tree when I'll finish to develop IPMI driver and
all will be OK.

> > Until now I have been using TFTP with CONFIG_NET_MULTI
> defined and all was
> > good, but looking the dhcp code for this step I see that
> dhcp doesn't
> > support more than one eth line (get mac address only from
> the first).
>
> You write "looking the dhcp code" -- did you actually try it out?
>
> The assignment of the current MAC address when  switching  to  a  new
> network interface happens in "net.c":

>     289 restart:
>     290 #ifdef CONFIG_NET_MULTI
>     291         memcpy (NetOurEther, eth_get_dev()->enetaddr, 6);
>     292 #else
>     293         memcpy (NetOurEther, bd->bi_enetaddr, 6);
>     294 #endif
>
> The BOOTP/DHCP code just uses the value stored in  the  "NetOurEther"
> variable. To me this looks OK.
yes, I see it and it's OK.

> > Is there any reason for this or is a bug ?
>
> I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Are  you  perhaps  confusing
> this with the random delay code (CONFIG_BOOTP_RANDOM_DELAY) where the
> computation  of  the  initial  random delay is based on the "ethaddr"
> value? This is definitely not a problem...

Yes, You are right, I made some confusion with this define.
Looking better the code seems all OK.
Sorry for my mistake.

My intention is to launch dhcp and tftp in a function that control the
result; in case of failure the boot process will be aborted sending
a communication over IPMI using a proprietari SMS interface based on SCC.
I looked the code for see if with CONFIG_NET_MULTI the dhcp process return
an error code or loop until ^C is pressed.