[U-Boot-Users] Software emulation exception on entry into RAM

Michael Bendzick michaelb at logicpd.com
Fri Jul 30 09:41:34 CEST 2004

Tom-

I can't be sure on this at all, but I ran into an SDRAM problem recently on
a different board than yours and figured out the following solution.

In the meantime, take a look at the flow of the platform.S (or equivalent)
file in your board directory.  I've been working with a board that is
similar to the Innovator, but the memory map was a little different, and
found that I could fix an SDRAM configuration problem in that file.

In the platform.S code, which is assembly that gets run right away when the
board powers up, there is initialization for external memory configuration
registers.  This particular file, and probably the code for many more
boards, detects if the code is currently running from SDRAM or elsewhere.
If running from SDRAM, it skips reconfiguring the SDRAM registers, as that
would likely mess things up in a bad way.

The decision structure was originally based on comparing the program counter
to the SDRAM base address.  If PC was greater than SDRAM base, then skip
SDRAM reconfigure.  This worked well when flash memory started at 0x0, and
SDRAM at 0x10000000, but I was running the code out of 0x20000000 (internal
SRAM).  The assembly code thought it was in SDRAM and skipped configuring
the registers, even though it would have been okay to reconfigure them.

The solution to the problem was to take the PC, mask off the don't care
bits, and then check the equality of the result to the SDRAM base address.
This precisely determines if SDRAM is the current execution address, no
matter if code ran higher or lower in the memory map than SDRAM.

In summary, check to make sure that when you set a register configuration
value, that it actually makes it to that register.  Hopefully this
information has been helpful and not just completely unrelated.

-Michael Bendzick