[U-Boot-Users] NFS problem

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Jun 3 12:21:50 CEST 2004

In message <200406031104.07857.Schramel.Linux at go.bartec.de> you wrote:

> my 8270 board (2.4.26, u-boot 1.0.1, ELDK3.0) can't boot over NFS.

This is not really a U-Boot question, and thus off-topic here.

> Linux version 2.4.26-rc2 (marco at linux) (gcc-Version 3.2.2 20030217 (Yellow Dog Linux 3.0 3.2.2-2a_1)) #2 Do Mai 27 08:48:15 CEST 2004

Are you absolutely sure that this kernel is working as expected?

> Building the cache nfs: server 192.168.55.1 not responding, still trying
> nfs: server 192.168.55.1 OK
> nfs: server 192.168.55.1 not responding, still trying
> nfs: server 192.168.55.1 OK

Seems you have problems  with  your  NFS  server,  and/or  with  your
network interface - but tis can also mean that you just have the very
common  problem  or  incorrectly  initialized  SDRAM which fails when
stress-tested in burst-mode by the network controller doing a lot  of
DMA.

> than it hangs ...
> sometimes it gets on a little bit, sometimes not...
> Most time it hangs on "INIT: version 2.84 booting"
>
> Any ideas ??

My bet is on SDRAM problems.

> Why the "rootpath" isnt passed to the kernel?

That's a bug in the Linux NFS code; just the messages  are  wrong.  I
tried  to  find out who is maintaining this code, but nobody seems to
care.

> Are the domain and nis-domain necessary for booting ??

No.

> With an initrd it works fine and i can ping the target and reverse.

Try mounting a NFS filesystem in  the  initrd  setup,  or  running  a
flood-ping  with  big  packets,  or  run some other network benchmark
(like netio or so). I guess then you will see the same problems.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
You have the capacity to learn from  mistakes.  You'll  learn  a  lot
today.