[U-Boot-Users] problems with BDI2000 / u-boot / Linux on IBM 440GX Ocotea refere nce board

Travis Sawyer tsawyer+u-boot at sandburst.com
Fri Jun 4 03:48:24 CEST 2004

Bill:
On Thu, 2004-06-03 at 20:14, Bill Hargen wrote:
> I have been trying to get u-boot and Linux running on the IBM 440GX
> "Ocotea" reference board and I have been hitting some weird problems.
<SNIP>
> The first problem is if I try to run u-boot from flash with a BDI2000
> connected (i.e. do "reset" and "go" commands), then u-boot starts
> running but hangs in the SDRAM init.  Specifically, it hangs waiting
> for the MRS Command Complete status bit to be set.

IIRC I ran into the same thing, all I needed to do was remove the sdram
configuration from the config for the BDI.

>   And also,
> with the BDI2000 disconnected, the system reset switch doesn't work.  It
> kills the system, but it doesn't restart - I have to power cycle.  It did
> work when IBM's PIBS code was in flash.

There is a patch in Wolfgang's queue to fix this.  Check the archives
for "flash reset ocotea".

>   - It reports about 37 BogoMIPS, which seems way to low for a 440GX
>     running at 533MHz.

I've seen this also.  However the fix escapes me at the moment.  I'll
try to dig up my fix for this.

>   - It gets read timeouts trying to find the Ethernet PHYs.  (And this
>     works from u-boot - I'm booting from emac0!)
>   - It isn't getting the boot command line from u-boot.  And this is
You're bootargs and settings are making it to the kernel.

> I don't know if the BDI2000 quirk, the reset switch quirk, and the Linux
> strcpy(cmd_line... quirks are connected or not.

Not at all.

-travis