[U-Boot-Users] ARM Tool chain Recommendation

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Jun 7 20:04:30 CEST 2004

Dear Curt,

in message <20040607105849.B4471 at cucy.com> you wrote:

> Well I have one tool chain call "arm-linux-" and one called "arm-elf-"
> that I installed.  I don't remember where I got the arm-linux tools
> from, but the arm-elf tools came from

Well, if you don't even know the differences  in  the  configurations
yourself,  how  do you expect us to explain them to you? Without even
knowing where one toolchain might be coming from???

> The strange thing is these compiler define slightly different macros

Obviously they are configured differently.

> Now the problem I run into with u-boot is that the arm-elf-gcc
> compiler defines the symbol "arm", which the arm-linux-gcc does not.

Then it is broken. "arm" is not a reserved symbol by the compiler.

> I was just wondering what tool to use for u-boot. I figured the answer
> was "ELDK, or course".

Personally, I wouldn't trust a tool where I don't  know  how  it  was
configured, or what for, or why, or by whom ;-)

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
I realize that command does have its fascination, even under  circum-
stances such as these, but I neither enjoy the idea of command nor am
I  frightened  of  it. It simply exists, and I will do whatever logi-
cally needs to be done.
	-- Spock, "The Galileo Seven", stardate 2812.7