[U-Boot-Users] u-boot and Linux into an ace file

Peter Ryser Peter.Ryser at xilinx.com
Wed Jun 9 08:43:13 CEST 2004

Hi Abdelmajid,

I'm not sure that I understand why you want to do this. Making an ACE
file out of U-Boot helps you in the development process of your Linux
kernel/application as it allows you to download the Linux kernel and the
RAM disk through the network, thus allowing to change the Linux kernel
withouth having to rebuild the ACE file (containing U-Boot). If you were
to include the Linux kernel with U-Boot you would have to rebuild the
ACE file whenever you change the Linux kernel.

If you are trying to boot Linux from an ACE file there is an easier way.
Build your Linux kernel with "make bzImage" then build an ACE file from
the bitstream and the Linux kernel:

$ xmd genace.tcl -jprog -board ml300 -hw  \
     implementation/download.bit -elf zImage.embedded -ace top.ace

You can have U-Boot and Linux in two seperate ACE files and chosing one
or the other with the dial on the board or through the
touchscreen/bootloader that ships with the board.

- Peter