[U-Boot-Users] An error when I am compiling the u-boot 1.1.1 for VPB

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Jun 9 09:10:28 CEST 2004

In message <20040609025035.93031.qmail at web15207.mail.bjs.yahoo.com> you wrote:

> When I am compiling the u-boot 1.1.1 for Versatile PB,
> a strange problem encounters.

...in a strange system setup.

> gcc -Wall -pedantic -I../include -I..
> -DTEXT_BASE=0x01000000 -DUSE_HOSTCC -O -c -o
> bmp_logo.o bmp_logo.c
> gcc -Wall -pedantic -I../include -I..
> -DTEXT_BASE=0x01000000 -DUSE_HOSTCC -O  -o bmp_logo
> bmp_logo.o

Here the native (host) gcc is needed and used.

> strip bmp_logo
> ./bmp_logo logos/denx.bmp
> >/home/roc/bootloader/u-boot-1.1.1/include/bmp_logo.h
> /bin/sh: line 1: ./bmp_logo: cannot execute binary
> file

But obviously your native gcc does not create native code. I can only
speculate and guess that your PATH must be set wrong, so that a cross
gcc is picked up instead.

> So I want to know which version of gcc is best for
> compiling the u-boot?

This has nothing to do with GCC versions, but with the local stup  of
the PATH on your system. "gcc" should never pick up a cross compiler.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
There has been an alarming increase in the number of things you  know
nothing about.