[U-Boot-Users] PATCH: PCMCIA and PXA250

Leon KUKOVEC leon.kukovec at ultra.si
Wed Mar 24 10:18:13 CET 2004

Hi Wolfgang,

> Thanks. One question: the patch brings in a couple of [Linux]  system
> header files:

[ - snip - ]

> and even some assembler code:

[ - snip - ]

> Do we _really_ need all these header files? At first glance  I  think
> it  should  be  possible to without most of them. Also, the assembler
> files seem to be pulled in for ALL ARM boards?
>
> Can you please check and verify that we really _need_ all this stuff?

I'm not saying that I'm right, but here's my philosophy:

U-Boot uses Linux system header file or at least a portion of it.
If I copy a portion of a Linux system header file and put it
somewhere inside U-Boot I automaticaly loose the track of it.
If I copy the whole file and put it at the same place then I can do
diffs with Linux header file and the track is there - it's the same
file. A header file will most likelky contain only macros and will
not affect the image size at all.

That's my view, please let me know if you really want me to "hack"
around this, remove the header files and put defines where they're
needed.

About the lib_arm/ and assembly files. lib_arm is an archive. The boards
that don't need __raw_readsw and __raw_writesw won't have it. It's an
archive - object wont get linked if the symbol is not needed. I did
MAKEALL for all the boards that are there and none of the build fails
(except for those that fail in the -top-cvs too)

Let me know your thoughts,

--

Best Regards,
	Leon.