[U-Boot-Users] Posible IBM PPC440GX Cache Initialization Problem

VanBaren, Gerald (AGRE) Gerald.VanBaren at smiths-aerospace.com
Thu May 6 15:57:11 CEST 2004

This is typically (80% probability) a burst read problem.  RAM tests don't do burst reads.  When you enable cache and start to execute out of it, the cache is filled with a burst read which screws up.  Exception 0700 in this case is caused by reading 0xFFs (a floating point operation) with the FP turned off (or not available in the case of some PPC processors).

Since you say turning off DATA cache fixes the problem, I dropped the burst probability from 99.9999% to 80%.  You may be seeing a problem where you have some self-modifying code and forgot to flush and invalidate the data and instruction caches so what you are executing (icache) is not what you think you are executing (stuck in dcache and not written to memory).

gvb

The information contained in, or attached to, this e-mail, may contain confidential information and is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed and may be subject to legal privilege.  If you have received this e-mail in error you should notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail, delete the message from your system and notify your system manager.  Please do not copy it for any purpose, or disclose its contents to any other person.  The views or opinions presented in this e-mail are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company.  The recipient should check this e-mail and any attachments for the presence of viruses.  The company accepts no liability for any damage caused, directly or indirectly, by any virus transmitted in this email.