[U-Boot-Users] u-boot and bdi2000

Kate Alhola kate at iti.fi
Fri May 7 23:32:03 CEST 2004

Wolfgang Denk wrote:

>In message <409BE936.4010604 at iti.fi> you wrote:
>

>>Is there quick hint why u-boot does not start up when bdi2000 is
>>connected to mpc5200 board.
>>

>Because you did not enter a "go" command, or used a bad address  with
>the "go" ?

Of cource i entered go command and and user right address

>>problem is simple. I load my flash programming code ( rload ) to mpc5200
>>internal sram
>>with bdi2000 and program u-boot to flash.  So, loading and running code
>>

>Why that? Why don't you just use the BDI2000 to load and program  the
>image to flash?

Few reasons, at first, the board is not Icecube, it is my own and it has
diferent flash etc.
It is easiest to do initial testing to load code to internal sram . With
this code i can
test ethernet, serial, flash and sdram. And it is fast to program flash
directly over ethernet.

>>Then when i reset system and try start u-boot it hangs in initialization
>>code but
>>if i remove bdi2000 it boots u-boot without problems.
>>

>What is PC pointing to after reset, and what is  your  correct  entry
>point?

It is pointing reset vector and there is right reset code in this
address.  I traced execution
with bdi2000 ti command and it executes something 10 instructions ultill
it hangs
allways in same place.

- Target MBAR is 0xF0000000
- Target XLBA is 0x80000006
BDI>    Target CPU        : MPC8280/MGT5200 (Zeppo)
    Target state      : debug mode
    Debug entry cause : trace
    Current PC        : 0xfff00130
    Current CR        : 0x00000000
    Current MSR       : 0x00001002
    Current LR        : 0x00000000
BDI>ti
- Target MBAR is 0xF0000000
- Target XLBA is 0x00000000
BDI>    Target CPU        : MPC8280/MGT5200 (Zeppo)
    Target state      : debug mode
    Debug entry cause : COP freeze (startup)
    Current PC        : 0xfff00134
    Current CR        : 0x00000000
    Current MSR       : 0x00001002
    Current LR        : 0x00000000
# Step timeout detected

Or, if i just run from reset:

- TARGET: processing target startup passed
BDI>info
    Target CPU        : MPC8280/MGT5200 (Zeppo)
    Target state      : debug mode
    Debug entry cause : COP freeze (startup)
    Current PC        : 0xfff00100
    Current CR        : 0x00000000
    Current MSR       : 0x00001002
    Current LR        : 0x00000000
BDI>go
BDI>info
    Target CPU        : MPC8280/MGT5200 (Zeppo)
    Target state      : running
BDI>halt
- Target MBAR is 0xF0000000
- Target XLBA is 0x00000000
BDI>    Target CPU        : MPC8280/MGT5200 (Zeppo)
    Target state      : debug mode
    Debug entry cause : COP freeze (startup)
    Current PC        : 0xfff03178
    Current CR        : 0x00000000
    Current MSR       : 0x00001002
    Current LR        : 0xfff00138
BDI>ti
- Target MBAR is 0xF0000000
- Target XLBA is 0x00000000
BDI>    Target CPU        : MPC8280/MGT5200 (Zeppo)
    Target state      : debug mode
    Debug entry cause : COP freeze (startup)
    Current PC        : 0xfff03178
    Current CR        : 0x00000000
    Current MSR       : 0x00001002
    Current LR        : 0xfff00138
# Step timeout detected

In either case nothing appears in to the console.  Also, allways the
address is same
and i got the step timeout.

>>The bdi2000 initializtion file  is based one from denx ftp server. I
>>just ask, if this
>>is commonly known problem before spending any bit more time for it.
>>

>I guess that reading the docs would help. See for example
>"doc/README.IceCube"

I did not find anything about this issue. The u-boot works, it has right
addresses,
vectors etc. It just things that i already know. The problem is to get
it working
with bdi2000.  There is something that i did wrong with bdi2000
configuration
and i try figure out what.

Kate