[U-Boot-Users] MPC5200Lite performances!

Bertrand Baudet bbaudet at lacie.com
Fri May 21 16:16:24 CEST 2004

Hi,

I'm trying to get good IO throughput for network and IDE with my
MPC5200Lite board but for now I only have poor performances.

I'm using U-Boot 1.1.1 and the ppc linux kernel from ELDK 3.0.

When booting the kernel, it says that the FEC is working in HD mode. Not
full duplex!

eth0: config: auto-negotiation on, 100HDX, 10HDX

When testing the IDE throughput with hdparm 5.5, I'm getting 80MB/s for
cache read and 2,3MB/s for non-cache read.

I was able to improve the cache read to 160MB/s by restoring, in u-boot,
the Wait State configuration that was removed in start.S v1.5

     lis     r3,     0x00047800 at h

     ori     r3, r3, 0x00047800 at l

     stw     r3, 0x300(r4)

But when trying to enable the DMA for IDE transfer, the kernel returns a
lot of DMA errors.

In the "drivers/ide/ppc/mpc5xxx_ide.c" file at line 323, there is a
comment saying: "Re-enable this code when DMA atually works".

That makes me wonder if DMA is working at all for IDE transfer!

The linuxppc_2_4_devel tree from cvs.denx.de makes the kernel panic
while looking for the partition on the disk...

Has anyone got the MPC5200Lite configure to use DMA for IDE transfer?

Cheers,

Bertrand

PS: Is there a place to discuss about the linux kernel on the MPC5200?

I checked over at www.denx.de <http://www.denx.de/> , but there is no
link for such place.