[U-Boot-Users] MPC5200Lite performances!

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri May 21 16:59:37 CEST 2004

In message <5A96167EBCEA8440A48790B5419953AE13C41D at gr-lafayette.lacie.com> you wrote:

> I'm trying to get good IO throughput for network and IDE with my
> MPC5200Lite board but for now I only have poor performances.

This is not really a on-tpoic for the U-Boot-users list...

> I'm using U-Boot 1.1.1 and the ppc linux kernel from ELDK 3.0.

Try the current kernel from our CVS instead.

> When booting the kernel, it says that the FEC is working in HD mode. Not
> full duplex!

Yes, this is a known problem. We see errors in certain configurations
when running FD. We're working on it.

> But when trying to enable the DMA for IDE transfer, the kernel returns a
> lot of DMA errors.

DMA does not work in the kernel version you are using.  You  may  try
the  current version from CVS, but be warned: IDE DMA still conflicts
with the FEC driver.

> That makes me wonder if DMA is working at all for IDE transfer!

Not with the kernel version (or more precisely: not with the BestComm
API code) you are using.

> The linuxppc_2_4_devel tree from cvs.denx.de makes the kernel panic
> while looking for the partition on the disk...

It works fine for me - but as mentioned before,  it  still  conflicts
with the FEC driver.

> Has anyone got the MPC5200Lite configure to use DMA for IDE transfer?

Yes, at least a bit. Motorola and we are working on this.

> PS: Is there a place to discuss about the linux kernel on the MPC5200?

Of course: linuxppc-dev is probably best. linuxppc-embedded would  be
tolerable, too.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
If ignorance is bliss, why aren't there more happy people?