X-IMail-SPAM-Phrase Re: [U-Boot-Users] Smc91c111 - extra bytes in receive buffer

Earle Clubb eclubb at valcom.com
Fri May 21 22:21:29 CEST 2004

It turns out that I had the order wrong.  The first 12 (sometimes 10) bytes
are the extra bytes, then come the status and byte count words, then the
actual received data.  So in the above packet, the first 407f 0042 ffff ffff
ffff 000a sequence is junk, then the status word (407f), then the byte count
(0042), then the proper received data.  The first 12 bytes aren't always
duplicates of the following 12 bytes.  Sometimes it's 10 bytes of what
appears to be junk before the status word.  It appears to vary based on the
received packet type, but is always consistent for a given type.  I never
receive a packet of any type without the extra byte on the front.

> what LAN91C111 does is to append two bytes (status word and byte
> count) to the data received, so the extra 6 byte you are
> seeing _should_ also be in the ethernet frame on the wire.
> and that frame is broken. You should use some packet capture
> tool, ie ethereal, to see the extra bytes are really on the
> wire or not.

I've been using ethereal to sniff the packets and they're always correct.

> > Any ideas on why this might be happening?
> >
> > Another question: what do the bits in the status word for a receive
> > mean? I've looked through the data sheet and appnote96 and
> can't find
> > any definition of the bits.
>
> you can find a section called "receive frame status word", in
> the data sheet.

Thanks...I found it.

Earle