[U-Boot-Users] Interface between u-boot and linux image

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Tue May 25 10:10:00 CEST 2004

In message <Sea2-F43BgUp5G9C1op000654e8 at hotmail.com> you wrote:

> Is there a standard of the interface between u-boot and linux image? Since

Yes, U-Boot uses the interfaces defined by the Linux kernel.

> the u-boot should passing some information to kernel at the begining of
> linux image start up, but for different CPU type, the bdinfo structures are
> very different in u-boot, how does these structures co-work with linux

At the  moment,  each  architecture  has  it's  own  way  of  passing
information  to  the  kernel. But this is something we inherited from
Linux history, it is not imposed by U-Boot. U-Boot just  uses  what's
there resp. what's been there in the Linux kernel.

> image made from different version of embedded linux such as eldk, hardhat
> or others? thanks.

These are just different distributions which are  all  based  on  the
same  Linux  kernel  source  trees.  There  is  no  difference in the
interfaces. Nor any significant differnce at all.

Viele Grüße,

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
I don't know if it's what you want, but it's what you get.  :-)
                      - Larry Wall in <10502 at jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV>