[U-Boot-Users] Serial driver for smdk2440 board

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Nov 1 16:33:48 CET 2004

In message <20041101140932.49098.qmail at web12005.mail.yahoo.com> you wrote:
> I was testing my hello_world application. It jumps
> corectly but prints some crap and then returns.
>
> I think since there is no serial driver in uboot for
> s3c2440 therefore it gives junk output.

Ummm... If you have U-Boot running to the extend that you are able to
load and start a standalone program, then  there  is  also  a  serial
driver  in  place  and working. Or what do you think where the U-Boot
console messages are coming from?

> I have found a serial driver for my smdk2440 board in
> linux/drivers/serial/serial_s3c2440.c
>
> So i now would like to plug in that driver in uboot.

No, you don't want to do that. The difference between a  full-fledged
Linux  serial  driver  and  an U-Boot console driver are about as the
differences between an ICBM and an arrow.

> What are the steps for plugging a new driver?

Understand the hardware.  Understand  the  U-Boot  design.  Code  the
driver. Debug the driver. Submit a patch.

> Also where does the driver get initialised?

Probably in serial_init() ?

See us @ Embedded/Electronica Munich, Nov 09 - 12, Hall A.6 Booth 513
Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
I have been over into the future, and it works.
                - Lincoln Steffens in _Letters_ (1938) vol. 1, p. 463