[U-Boot-Users] PCI initialization in U-Boot

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Nov 1 16:39:46 CET 2004

In message <23153.216.8.140.170.1099320579.squirrel at 216.8.140.170> you wrote:

> I am testing an IceCube/MPC5200 motherboard together
> with a Diamond Stealth ATI Radeon 9200SE PCI card.

Are you sure that this card works at all in a PowerPC environment?

> Attempting to access BAR0 (memory region), results in a 'bus fault'.

This may be  an  indication  that  your  card  requires  some  "BIOS"
initialization code to be run.

> Are there further configuration commands that must be executed
> to access the BAR0 memory region?

Many graphic cards come  with  their  own  BIOS  code  that  must  be
executed  to  initialize the card. I have no idea if this is the case
for the 9200SE, but I would not be  surprised  either.  Without  such
initialization  it  is  likely  that  the  memory on the card remains
uninitialized and thus unaccessable.

The only way to make such cards work is by enabling the BIOS emulator
(see board/MAI/bios_emulator directory) and use this to run the  init
code of your card.

Good luck!!

> Alternately, is there a source of information that I can read
> to learn how to set up PCI so that my standalone application
> can use it?

Read the U-Boot and the  Linux  kernel  source  code  and  associated
documentation.

See us @ Embedded/Electronica Munich, Nov 09 - 12, Hall A.6 Booth 513
Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
God runs electromagnetics by wave theory on  Monday,  Wednesday,  and
Friday,  and the Devil runs them by quantum theory on Tuesday, Thurs-
day, and Saturday.                                   -- William Bragg