[U-Boot-Users] warning:cannot find entry symbol _start

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Nov 3 10:59:32 CET 2004

In message <20041103042856.74282.qmail at web12009.mail.yahoo.com> you wrote:
> Hello, i want to make a standalone application which
> is separate from the address space of uboot.
>
> Its a simple hello_world application.For this to run i
> needed the serial driver which i got from uboot/
> cpu/arm920t/serial.c

This makes no sense. The serial driver is already included  with  the
U-Boot running on your board, so you don't need it in your standalone
application.

> I call serial_init in my main.

This makes no sense. The driver is already initialized and running in
the U-Boot context. What are you trying to do?

> I make hello_world.bin in a way similar to that in
> uboot.

I don't think so. The hello_world example does not perform  any  such
funny stuff.

> The only diifernece is that i compile with nostdlib
> and static option.

And you precise reasons for these options are?

> But the problem is when i compile i get:
>
> /usr/local/arm/2.95.3/arm-linux/bin/ld: warning:
> cannot find entry symbol _start; defaulting to
> 00008074

Seems your linker options are not OK...

> Why do i get this problem and why this problem does
> not occur in hello_world example of uboot?

You get these problems because you obviously did not understand how a
standalone application works. But you don't provide  enough  informa-
tion to come up with more detailed advice.

See us @ Embedded/Electronica Munich, Nov 09 - 12, Hall A.6 Booth 513
Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
C++ is the best example of second-system effect since OS/360.