[U-Boot-Users] RE: PCI initialization in U-Boot

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Nov 3 11:12:37 CET 2004

In message <32655.216.8.140.170.1099402783.squirrel at 216.8.140.170> you wrote:

> Has Freescale given any estimate on when that next rev on the
> MPC5200 will be available?

Please ask your Freescale distributor.

> Alternately, are there other CPUs/boards that U-Boot runs on that
> would be more suitable (easier to program), given the following
> constraints:

There are porobably MANY such boards, but your requirements are  very
vague:

> 1. Low power requirements (we were looking at clocking the
>    MPC5200 to use ~1.5 watts).

1.5 watts just for the processor, or for the whole system?

> 4. Enough processing power to support applications
>    that can fill 1600x1200 resolution screens

Fill? You mean just fill with one solid color? Well, even the slowest
8 bit processor will be able to do this. Also, what sort of  graphics
adapter  do  you  intend  to  use?  A fill operation might be handled
completely by the graphics controller, so again this  does  not  give
any hints about necessary computing power.

> 5. PCI interface (to support the GPU)

GPU = Gnutella Processing Unit ???

Sorry, with such vague information no result should be expecrted.

See us @ Embedded/Electronica Munich, Nov 09 - 12, Hall A.6 Booth 513
Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"The computer programmer is a creator of universes for which he alone
is responsible. Universes of virtually unlimited  complexity  can  be
created  in  the  form  of  computer  programs." - Joseph Weizenbaum,
_Computer Power and Human Reason_