[U-Boot-Users] POST regarding MPC8266

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Nov 3 16:02:52 CET 2004

Dear Vikrant,

in message <3D9FDCA910DD4445896A0BE5ECF009D40189EAE5 at bla.satyam.com> you wrote:

>  I am analyzing the Power on Self Test (POST) Process for the CPU only in
> the U-Boot Code; there is a folder (u-boot-1.1.1\post) which contains the

There  is  no  such  directory  in   U-Boot.   I   guess   you   mean
u-boot-1.1.1/post  -  please  be careful - '/' (hex 0x2F) followed by
'p' (hex 0x70) is NOT the same as '\p' which is an  undefined  escape
sequence.

> file cpu.c which is having the function "int cpu_post_test (int flags)".
> Till now I have analyzed that this function gets called for the POST of the
> CPU, but from there I didn't find any link to processor specific Test
> ....Since each processor would have different instruction set then how the
> generic CPU POST would do the job for all kind of processors. In the entire
> Source Code I didn't find processor -mpc8266 related POST code.

The existing POST code has not been generalized yet. So far, the full
support is only available for MPC8xx processors.

> I just want to make it sure that whether the cpu.c file defined in folder
> "u-boot-1.1.1\post" will also do the POST for the mpc8266. Please make it

No, it will not.

> very clear, Do I need to make any changes anywhere so that the POST code
> written in the u-boot version 1.1.1 will work for mpc8266.

Yes, a lot of changes / extensions are needed.

See us @ Embedded/Electronica Munich, Nov 09 - 12, Hall A.6 Booth 513
Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
...though his invention worked superbly -- his theory was a crock  of
sewage from beginning to end.         - Vernor Vinge, "The Peace War"