[U-Boot-Users] Compressed U-Boot image

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Nov 3 17:19:34 CET 2004

In message <4188F7C5.6010303 at beam.ltd.uk> you wrote:

> The u-boot image is quite large.

120...240 kB is no much for a boot loader with the capabilities of U-Boot.

> Has anyone done any working in getting a compressed u-boot image to boot
> ala the Linux kernel ?

Some people did (like for the AT91RM9200), but it makes little sense,
unless you abandon very basic design principles, like doing  as  much
as  possible in standard C code, providing console output as early as
possible, making ports to new CPUs and boards as  easy  as  possible,
etc.

On the AT91RM9200 we're right now in the process of getting od of the
binary boot loader that loads a compressed U-Boot image: it's a  PITA
to  have  yet  another  piece  of  software  that needs to be ported,
debugged and maintained, and that does nothing  but  adding  lots  of
delays to the boot time.

While technically possible (and not exactly difficult)  it  makes  no
sense to me to implement such a feature.

See us @ Embedded/Electronica Munich, Nov 09 - 12, Hall A.6 Booth 513
Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Power is danger.
	-- The Centurion, "Balance of Terror", stardate 1709.2