[U-Boot-Users] Compressed U-Boot image

Terry Barnaby terry1 at beam.ltd.uk
Wed Nov 3 17:38:31 CET 2004

Wolfgang Denk wrote:
> In message <4188F7C5.6010303 at beam.ltd.uk> you wrote:
>
>>The u-boot image is quite large.
>

> 120...240 kB is no much for a boot loader with the capabilities of U-Boot.
>

>>Has anyone done any working in getting a compressed u-boot image to boot
>>ala the Linux kernel ?
>

> Some people did (like for the AT91RM9200), but it makes little sense,
> unless you abandon very basic design principles, like doing  as  much
> as  possible in standard C code, providing console output as early as
> possible, making ports to new CPUs and boards as  easy  as  possible,
> etc.
>
> On the AT91RM9200 we're right now in the process of getting od of the
> binary boot loader that loads a compressed U-Boot image: it's a  PITA
> to  have  yet  another  piece  of  software  that needs to be ported,
> debugged and maintained, and that does nothing  but  adding  lots  of
> delays to the boot time.
>

> While technically possible (and not exactly difficult)  it  makes  no
> sense to me to implement such a feature.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Wolfgang Denk

In my case I was hoping to use u-boot simply as a network boot loader without
all of the debugging options. However I have only 32KByte to store the
code in ....

Is there another PPC based network boot loader you know off that would be
better at this than u-boot ?

Cheers

Terry

--
Dr Terry Barnaby                     BEAM Ltd
Phone: +44 1454 324512               Northavon Business Center, Dean Rd