[U-Boot-Users] Univesal bootloader in 2 stages

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Nov 5 17:22:44 CET 2004

In message <000001c4c326$64d54ad0$4501a8c0 at bgcw301> you wrote:

> Since my hardware is customized, to run the hardware for the very first
> time with a bootloader, programming 200K will take a lot more time with
> a JTAG interface [Thinking from manufacturing angle]. That’s the
> reason

Did you actually measure the time it takes to progam the  200  kB  of
U-Boot  using  a  BDi2000  with  an optimized config file (i. e. with
workspace enabled)?

And did you then estimate the time you  need  to  program  your  mini
loader,  to load the real image over the network, and then to program
the real image to flash?

Do you really expect this to be faster?

I will not be convinced before I see actual numbers.

> I wanted to have the bootloader to be split into 2.[So that programming
> only around 10K will not take a lot of time compared to the whole
> bootloader].

If you really manage to get a boot  loader  with  support  for  flash
programming  and  TFTP  download  in 10 kB I really would like to see
your code. I'm willing to throw out all flash and network drivers  in
U-Boot and replace them with your code.

> Do you have any suggestion for this type of a scenario?

Sorry, no. I don't know how to provide such a solution.

See us @ Embedded/Electronica Munich, Nov 09 - 12, Hall A.6 Booth 513
Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Technology is dominated by those who manage what they do  not  under-
stand.