[U-Boot-Users] RTC required for network support on OCOTEA?

Travis Sawyer tsawyer+u-boot at sandburst.com
Wed Nov 10 19:03:28 CET 2004

On Wed, 2004-11-10 at 11:30, Andrew Wozniak wrote:
> Hello everyone,

> In debugging the network component of U-Boot, someone mentioned that a
> RTC might be required for proper operation. Unlike the OCOTEA board, we
> do NOT have a RTC.  After examining all the READMEs and looking at
> source code, I don't see any dependency on a RTC. Can anyone confirm this?

Hunh???

Are you using the Cicada/Vitesse phy that is on the ocotea?

There is a gotcha with that phy.  IIRC, our in house board doesn't have
the 13" of trace, so I had to set a bit.

>From 440gx_enet.c /* Note: slightly hacked for use with our metrobox
system */

#if defined(CONFIG_440_GX)
#if defined(CONFIG_CIS8201_PHY)
		/*
		 * Cicada 8201 PHY needs to have an extended register whacked
		 * for RGMII mode.
		 */
		if ( ((devnum == 2) || (devnum ==3)) && (4 == ethgroup) ) {
#if defined(CONFIG_METROBOX)
			miiphy_write (reg, 23, 0x1300);
#else
			miiphy_write (reg, 23, 0x1200);
#endif

This is just above the vsc8201/cis8201 errata code.

Specifically, bit 8 enables RGMII skew timing compensation.

As for requiring an RTC, I _*REALLY*_ don't see how one has to do with
the other.

Good luck,

Travis