[U-Boot-Users] U-boot on OMAP 1510 Innovator board

riya punjabi riya_mp at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 27 13:59:28 CET 2004

Hi,
	I am new to the Omap1510 Innovator board. I am trying
to put u-boot on the board.
So please be patient in reading the following and
answering for the same.

I am using the following hardware:
1. Omap1510 Innovator board
2. JTAG
3. Serial cable connected to COM1 on my PC

I am using the following softwares/tools:
1. Code Composer Studio 2(OMAP)
2. Spectrum Digital CCS Debug Tools for OMAP CCS 2.2x
3. VTI HOST for putting applications on board via JTAG
4. Windows XP's Hyperterminal Communications tool for
reading things in memory using serial cable.
5. u-boot 1.1.1 sources from
http://sourceforge.net/projects/u-boot
6. I have a prebuilt arm-softfloat-linux-gnu
toolchain.

I am using the following steps to build the u-boot
image (in Redhat Linux 9.0):
1. make distclean
2. make omap1510inn_config
3. vi cpu/arm925t/config.mk
   Here I have changed the line:
	PLATFORM_RELFLAGS += -fno-strict-aliasing
-fno-common -ffixed-r8 \
        -mshort-load-bytes -msoft-float
   Replaced it with:
	PLATFORM_RELFLAGS += -fno-strict-aliasing
-fno-common -ffixed-r8 \
        -msoft-float
4. vi Makefile
   Here I have removed the line (on line 124) :
     examples \
5. vi board/omap1510inn/config.mk
   Here I have changed the line:
	TEXT_BASE = 0x11080000
   Replaced it with:
	TEXT_BASE = 0x00000000
6. make CROSS_COMPILE=arm-softfloat-linux-gnu-
ARCH=arm dep
7. make CROSS_COMPILE=arm-softfloat-linux-gnu-
ARCH=arm all

These steps give me the u-boot.bin file. Then I used
the following steps to convert u-boot.bin to u-boot.m0
(in Redhat Linux 9.0):
1.dd conv=swab if=u-boot.bin of=u-boot.swab
2.arm-softfloat-linux-gnu-objcopy -O srec -I binary
--gap-fill=0xFF u-boot.swab u-boot.m0
3.objcopy -O srec --srec-forceS3 u-boot.m0 u-boot.m0

These steps give me the u-boot.m0 file. I had then put
this file on the board as follows (in Windows XP):
1. The memory configuration switches were set on
omap1510 Innovator board with S1 = ON and S2, S3, S4
as OFF.
2. Set the VTI HOST as follows:
   JTAG driver: sdgoarm9.dvr
   Board.dat file: ccBrd0.dat
   FLASH Copy function: SRAMFlashWriter.m0
   Register : Program Counter set to 0x0
3. Downloaded the u-boot.m0 file using VTI HOST.
4. Switch off the power supply for board.
4. Changed the Memory Configuration switch settings to
S1, S3 to ON and S2, S4 OFF.
5. Switch on the power supply for board.
6. Set the Hyperterminal
(Start-->Programs-->Accessories-->Communications-->Hyperterminals)
tool in Windows XP as follows:
   Connected to: COM1
   BaudRate: 115200
   Data Bits:8
   Parity: None
   Stop Bits: 1
   Flow Control: None

After all this was done the connection was established
but nothing was visible (the u-boot prompt was not
shown).

So please help me out to get u-boot on the board. If
anybody has been succesful in porting u-boot on
omap1510 innovator board please tell me how you have
done so, starting from building u-boot to putting it
on the board with the available hardware resources.

I desperately need help. So please reply soon.

--Riya.