[U-Boot-Users] Re: Problem building U-boot for RpxLite with Mpc823e

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sat Nov 27 23:51:37 CET 2004

In message <200411271459.32295.ccool at ninjatech.biz> you wrote:

> MPC823 processor
> 16 Mb of RAM   (0000 0000 - 00FF FFFF)
> 16 Mb of Flash  (FF00 0000 - FFFF FFFF)
> --> it is actually 4 AMD chips of 4 Mb each

You promised to be  more  specific.  "4  AMD  chips"  is  not  really
specific,  though.  AMD  is  manufacturing  a wide range of different
chips. We cannot guess...

> The boot process, on the CW boards, start looking for a boot loader at the>
> adresses FFF0 0000 on the flash memory, so that's where I have put U-boot.

This is not necessarily a good idea. The mapping of your flash device
at reset may be totally different.

> Q1:  Also I really think the best thing would be to have the same kind of
> configuration option like the ones you can find for the RPXlite_DW.  I like>

Than add it, if you want it.

> the environment.  I'm not certain what I would have to modify to use this o> n
> my board?

We don't even know your baord, so how should we know?

> Q2: Has I said in my last mail, I still have a "silicon bug warning"
>
> CPU:   PPC823ZTnnA at 48 MHz: 2 kB I-Cache 1 kB D-Cache
>          *** Warning: CPU Core has Silicon Bugs -- Check the Errata ***
>
> I would like to know if that is a normal warning or it could really mess up>
> the stability of my system.  When I built my linux kernel, I add the silico> n
> bugs patch.  Is there a way in U-boot to apply a patch similar ?

The message says what it says: you have a very old and  known  to  be
broken CPU; you better check the errata sheets carefully.

If I were you I'd avoid such ancient hardware.

> Q3:  This question is about the tool mkimage.  It is the problem which is
> affecting me the most.  I've read the FAQ and my bug is similar to one of t> he
> question there:
>
> 13.2.6. Linux hangs after uncompressing the kernel

This has NOTHING to do with mkimage, though.

> I know it is not the "clocks_in_mhz" problem, because I've tested plenty.  > (I
> removed it and try to change the 1 for the correct value of the speed of th> e
> processor, just in case it would work)

There is no "correct value". Please read the document more carefully.

> I know my linux kernel work, because I have tested it before and it was
> booting correctly.  ( I tested it with the original boot loader of the
> board )

You cannot test the same image with another boot loader.

> So then, if I refer to the FAQ, the problem should be a bad definition of t> he
> bd_info structure.  All I found was:
>
> in u-boot/include/asm-ppc/u-boot.h
>         unsigned long   bi_immr_base;   /* base of IMMR register */
> in linux-2.4.22/include/asm-ppc/ppcboot.h
>         unsigned long   bi_immr_base;   /* base of IMMR register */

I don't think this is the definition of "struct bd_info" ??

> And I don't know what is the IMAP_ADDR, I don't know what to do.  If you ca> n

We don't know your hardware or your memory map...

> help me with only one question, please make it this one.  I've been working>
> on this kernel for a long time.  I tried the linux-2.4.25 from your site,
> (with the mkimage tool included and working with mkimage), it's a great
> kernel, but the mtd is not working at all, and it is working with my kernel> .

MTD is working fine on all supported boards.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"It takes all sorts of in & out-door schooling to get adapted  to  my
kind of fooling"                                           - R. Frost