[U-Boot-Users] RTC Question

Robin Getz rgetz at blackfin.uclinux.org
Sat Oct 9 01:37:30 CEST 2004

Wolfgang Denk wrote:
>How could you fix this?

As you suggested - just a simple offset (exactly the same will need to go
into the Linux kernel). If the overflow occurs - (if you see a date less
then 18Sept1974, assume roll over has occurred, add 4 years, 9 months, and
17 days). This will set things to the same day of the week structure as the
roll over date (19Sep2058 is a Thursday, and so is 19Sept1974). This also
should handle the leap years calculations properly.

After this it is a simple matter of just adding 84 years to the return
value or display of the function.

>U-Boot will probably not even be running when the rollover happens, so it
>has zero chance to notice.

U-boot may not have to be alive when rollover occurs to have an issue - for
a contrived example that has less chance of actually happening than me
willing the lotto, if you set U-Boot up to check a network connection
monthly for updates, after 2058 it stops checking, because U-boot believes
that Oct2058 never occurs.

However, by doing the above, all than happens is delaying things until
2087, and then you run into the same problem. But since I plan on being
dead by then, I am OK with that. (I'd like to be around in 50 years, but
not 80).

-Robin