[U-Boot-Users] TFTP configuration Vs gdb response time !

ravi.aloor at wipro.com ravi.aloor at wipro.com
Sat Oct 16 16:26:41 CEST 2004

Hi All, A brief explanation about my working environment:
 	- ARM11 based target board, having its own IP address
 	- My PC running on RedHat Linux-8.0, having its own IP address,
as host machine with only CLI and no GUI-XWindows
 	- BDI2000, having its own IP address
 	- PC and BDI2000 are connected to the network independently
 	- U-boot is already available on target board in the flash
memory
 	- Firmware is already available on BDI2000
 	- BDI2000 is connected to the target board through
 	- Using gdb-6.1 configured with --target=arm-linux
	- Documents referring: README, DULG, bdiGDB maual
	- I am not using ELDK as explained in DLUG
	- About our network: I am not sure

I want to debug u-boot and also kernel with good response from gdb. The
following are my doubts.

1. I have TFTP server already configured on our network. But the
response time of gdb is too bad, while debugging. I will not come to
know what is happening also.

So I thought I will make my PC only as TFTP server to get faster
response from gdb. This idea is right / wrong ?
If my idea is wrong, what could be the possible reason for gdb's slow
response ... ? My PC has PIII processor and 128MB RAM. Do you suggest to
increase RAM on my PC ? This anyway I planning to do. Does the response
time of gdb depend on network speed also ?

2. In gdbBDI manual, the explanation is given by directly connecting the
target board to the host machine with Ethernet cable. Serial cable
connection is only for initial configuration of BDI. But in my case,
both the target board and my PC are connected separately to the network.
Is it ok ?

3. I started to make my PC itself as TFTP server. I followed DLUG
document for this purpose and I configured BDI accordingly as shown
below:

[root at localhost BDISetUp]# ./bdisetup -c -p/dev/ttyS0 -b115
-i192.168.226.-h192.168.226.168 -m255.255.255.128 -g192.168.226.129
-fBDI-new.cfg
Connecting to BDI loader
Writing network configuration
Configuration passed
[root at localhost BDISetUp]# ./bdisetup -v -p/dev/ttyS0 -b115 -s
BDI Type : BDI2000 Rev.C (SN: 95590442)
Loader   : V1.05
Firmware : V0.99 bdiGDB for ARM11
Logic    : V1.06 ARM
MAC      : 00-0c-01-95-59-04
IP Addr  : 192.168.226.159
Subnet   : 255.255.255.128
Gateway  : 192.168.226.129
Host IP  : 192.168.226.168
Config   : BDI-new.cfg

4. Now I already have BDI-new.cfg file in my /tftpboot/ directory on my
PC. I pinged BDI. Response is OK. Then I made 'telnet' to BDI. The
following is the brief response.

memory
                           <format>  : SREC, BIN, AOUT, ELF or COFF
ERASE  [<address> [<mode>]]  erase a flash memory sector, chip or block
                   <mode>  : CHIP, BLOCK or SECTOR (default is sector)
FENA   <addr> <size>         enable autoamtic programming to flash
memory
FDIS                         disable autoamtic programming to flash
memory
DELAY  <ms>                  delay for a number of milliseconds
SELECT <core>                change the current core
                             len : the number of bits 1..256
                             bx  : a data byte, two hex digits
HOST   <ip>                  change IP address of program file host
PROMPT <string>              defines a new prompt string
CONFIG                       display or update BDI configuration
CONFIG <file> [<hostIP> [<bdiIP> [<gateway> [<mask>]]]]
HELP                         display command list
QUIT                         terminate the Telnet session

# CONFIG: cannot open BDI-new.cfg
# CONFIG: cannot open BDI-new.cfg
Core#0>

Means, it is not getting my BDI-new.cfg file even though the file is in
/tftpboot/ directory on my PC while my PC is working as TFTP server. Why
it is BDI is not able to read BDI-new.cfg ?

Thank you,
Ravi