[U-Boot-Users] CFI driver

York Sun yorksun at freescale.com
Wed Oct 20 21:26:11 CEST 2004

I am debugging flash driver for MPC8555CDS board. The driver is
drivers/cfi_flash.c. I have two boards. One is rev 1.0, with AM29LV641D.
The other is rev 1.1, with AM29LV641M.

The problem is polling DQ6 after programming. The current driver in
U-boot 1.1.2 works well for AM29LV641M. As for AM29LV641D, the
programming hangs after writing about 13KB. I track it down to
"flash_is_busy()" function. When the problem occurs, the DQ6 keeps
toggling. If I change the algorithm to polling DQ7, no problem occurs.

Shawn has a similar problem
http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/linux-mtd/2004-March/009402.html.
Maybe we should use DQ7 rather than DQ6.

Another issue is the CFI driver might not work for all CFI compatible
flash. For example, Micro MT28F640J3. Micro uses status register instead
of DQ# polling. Somehow, we still need board specific driver.

York Sun, Ph.D
Metrowerks
Freescale Semiconductor Inc.
Phone: (512) 996-5252
Email: yorksun at freescale.com

This email, and any associated attachments have been classified as:
[x] Freescale Semiconductor General Business
[ ] Freescale Semiconductor Internal Use Only
[ ] Freescale Semiconductor Confidential Proprietary