[U-Boot-Users] Ebony (440GP) fails to bootp in Linux after U-Boot...

Rani Glaser RaniG at Go-WLAN.com
Mon Oct 25 14:42:56 CEST 2004

Hi,

I've been using the the IBM booter that comes with the Ebony and
successfully booted my Linux kernel (2.6.8.1 based) on the Ebony. This
includes the IBM booter doing tftp, then the kernel running bootp/dhcp
and mounting the nfs smoothly.

Lately I've been trying to move to u-boot. Although installation of
u-boot to the flash and booting u-boot went quite fine, I'm unable to
finish the kernel boot process.

First I generated a kernel for the IBM booter using the make and
tftp-loaded zImage.ebony. Everything works fine. Then switched to the
u-boot flash (using U46 SW1).
Then I generated the linux kernel using "make uImage", using "tftpbootm
0x500000 /somewhere/uImage ; bootm 0x50000". (IBM booter used same
0x500000 address).

It loads nicely then just keeps trying to "BOOTP". Configuring the IP by
hand just moves the problem later to the NFS mounting process since no
ethernet traffic exists.

I did notice that the kernel doesn't automatically load the u-boot MAC
address correctly (kernel originally showed MAC is ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff on
u-boot), so for the time being I patched the source of the MAC and
inserted it by hand into the kernel code (now the kernel shows the
correct MAC when booting). Again, this runs fine on the IBM booter.

However, after I boot using u-boot, there doesn't seem to be any traffic
coming from the kernel (monitored using ethereal). I turned on some
debugging features in the 440GP EMAC driver, and it seems that the EMAC
driver gets request to transmit the BOOTP request, but nothing comes in
or out.

Anyone have any solutions for this?!?

Please help me out.

Many thanks,