[U-Boot-Users] Ebony (440GP) fails to bootp in Linux after U-Boot...

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Oct 25 17:26:44 CEST 2004

In message <699F7BBB368A10479166148511F524173D7149 at gn-ex01.Go80211.com> you wrote:

> First I generated a kernel for the IBM booter using the make and
> tftp-loaded zImage.ebony. Everything works fine. Then switched to the
> u-boot flash (using U46 SW1).
> Then I generated the linux kernel using "make uImage", using "tftpbootm
> 0x500000 /somewhere/uImage ; bootm 0x50000". (IBM booter used same
> 0x500000 address).

Did you modify your kernel to work with U-Boot (i. e. did you include
ppcboot.h in your board header file) ?

> I did notice that the kernel doesn't automatically load the u-boot MAC
> address correctly (kernel originally showed MAC is ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff on

This probably means that your kernel does not pick up the arguments
passed by U-Boot. This is a FAQ (see
http://www.denx.de/twiki/bin/view/DULG/LinuxHangsAfterUncompressingKernel)

> Anyone have any solutions for this?!?

RTFM ?

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Scotty: Captain, we din' can reference it!
Kirk:   Analysis, Mr. Spock?
Spock:  Captain, it doesn't appear in the symbol table.
Kirk:   Then it's of external origin?
Spock:  Affirmative.
Kirk:   Mr. Sulu, go to pass two.
Sulu:   Aye aye, sir, going to pass two.