[U-Boot-Users] Flash initialization help

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Oct 28 22:30:59 CEST 2004

In message <1098978366.c74c833cnishant.subs at myrealbox.com> you wrote:

> I have used the board/mpc8266ads.c, cpu/mpc8266ads.c and other related files as a base. I
> plan to modify them and compile u-boot for my custom board.
>
> Can I use strataFlash.c in ppmc8260? What changes are necessary to make it work with mpc8266
> code base?

No, you cannot, because there is no file with this name in the  whole
U-Boot tree.

Or do you mean board/ppmc8260/strataflash.c? That's different ('f' vs. 'F').

You can use that as a starting point.

> What are the other changes necessary to initialize 2 flashes?

Obviously you need a driver that supports both types of flash  chips,
depending on which flash bank you are orking with.

> Another doubt:
> Flash initialization lib_ppc/board.c/board_init_r()/flash_init() is done pretty late, after u-boot has relocated to RAM.
>
> What is the objective of the initialization at such a late stage?

You cannot do it earlier, because then you are running  code  out  of
flash  memory.  It is impossible on most flash chips to read data and
use any flash commands at the same time.

See us @ Embedded/Electronica Munich, Nov 09 - 12, Hall A.6 Booth 513
Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Objects in mirror are closer than they appear.