[U-Boot-Users] Flash initialization help

Nishant Galange nishant.subs at myrealbox.com
Thu Oct 28 17:46:06 CEST 2004

Hi All

I am relatively new to u-boot and need your help.

I have a few doubts regarding customization of U-boot, specifically the flash initialization

sequence.

Board config:
MPC 8266 based custom board
Boot Flash: AMD Flash Am29LV400BB70-EI (4 Mb) (U-boot will reside here)
Main Flash: Intel StrataFlash TE28F256J3c-125 (32 Mb)
U-boot 1.1.1

I have used the board/mpc8266ads.c, cpu/mpc8266ads.c and other related files as a base. I

plan to modify them and compile u-boot for my custom board.

Can I use strataFlash.c in ppmc8260? What changes are necessary to make it work with mpc8266

code base?

What are the other changes necessary to initialize 2 flashes?

Another doubt:
Flash initialization lib_ppc/board.c/board_init_r()/flash_init() is done pretty late, after u-boot has relocated to RAM.

What is the objective of the initialization at such a late stage?

Regards,
Nishant