[U-Boot-Users] Loading U-Boot SREC file

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sun Oct 31 22:28:02 CET 2004

In message <877jp7dl33.fsf at deepthought.outer.space.org> you wrote:

> > The boot loader that already exists on the board allows me to load the
> > SREC file via TFTP, and I have succeeded doing that. I am still unsure
> > if we should go ahead burn the image and restart the board to see
> > UBoot come up.
>
> I am not familiar with your platform but the SREC file is definitely
> not for tftp download.  You will end up with the SREC file in memory -
> uninterpreted.  If you use tftp, then use the bin file - the srec
> format is for serial download only.

This is not quite correct. There are  so-called  boot  loaders  (like
YAMON,  to  name  one) that are stupid enough to accept ONLY S-record
files over TFTP. [If you feed them a binary image  this  may  produce
some funny console error messages and/or completely hang the system.]

[Don't try it out on "charon", please ;-) ]

See us @ Embedded/Electronica Munich, Nov 09 - 12, Hall A.6 Booth 513
Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Some programming languages manage to  absorb  change,  but  withstand
progress.          -- Epigrams in Programming, ACM SIGPLAN Sept. 1982