[U-Boot-Users] Hi, I am new to U-Boot, how do I get started?

T Michael Turney tmike at recipes4linux.com
Fri Sep 3 19:17:48 CEST 2004

Make sure you have a JTAG debugger (e.g. BDI2000)
Find a board in .../include/configs that is close to your hardware
Make a new board file in ...include/configs for your board
Copy the starting board's files from .../board/xyz to your board's directory
.../board/myboard

With JTAG device, verify, minimally, working RAM (where u-boot image is
loaded), working serial port (for login and command line) working Ethernet
for network access.

Start making same devices work under u-boot.
Hint, try following this execution path... (arm)

.../cpu/at91rm9200/start.S
    _start -> reset
    reset -> _start_armboot

.../lib_arm/board.c

    start_armboot -> (calls a bunch of init functions)
    enters forever loop calling main_loop

.../common/main.c
    main_loop

Hope this helps