[U-Boot-Users] Reading image header from linux

David Ho DavidHo at nanometrics.ca
Thu Sep 9 17:20:20 CEST 2004

Hi Wolfgang,

I'm currently building in upgrade support for the linux kernel.  My
approach right now is just having 2 kernel partitions and communicate to
u-boot via the u-boot environment the test a kernel in a partition and set
a partition to default.  One of the things that I like to be able to do is
display the image information to the user from linux.
Will mkimage have a feature to read /dev/mtdx for example to give me the
image header info?

I don't know if you have considered displaying the CRC of the image as part
of the info, this would help differentiate kernel builds even if the images
name and size have not changed from previous builds.  This is especially
useful for managing multiple kernels in a system.

David