[U-Boot-Users] Re: Reading image header from linux

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Sep 9 17:37:51 CEST 2004

In message <OF57508F94.3D951CD8-ON85256F0A.0052933B-85256F0A.00544136 at nanometrics.ca> you wrote:

> Will mkimage have a feature to read /dev/mtdx for example to give me the
> image header info?

You'd have to change the code. Currently, mkimage tries to mmap() the file,
but [f]stat() on a /dev/mtd partition does not give any useful size.

> I don't know if you have considered displaying the CRC of the image as part
> of the info, this would help differentiate kernel builds even if the images
> name and size have not changed from previous builds.  This is especially

That's what the timestamp is good for.

> useful for managing multiple kernels in a system.

I think reading a cryptic CRC is less helpful than the  actual  build
time of the image.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
First study the enemy.  Seek weakness.
	-- Romulan Commander, "Balance of Terror", stardate 1709.2