[U-Boot-Users] DULG/Manual: 7.6. Standalone Operation with

Sam Song samsongshu at yahoo.com.cn
Tue Sep 21 15:26:27 CEST 2004

"Alexander Povolotsky" <pevnev at juno.com> wrote:
> Does it mean that a minimal ramdisk image
> ramdisk_image.zip "for first tests" for 82xx, which
> I have downloaded from:

ftp://ftp.denx.de/pub/LinuxPPC/usr/src/SIMPLE-PPCBOOT-ramdisk

This link is strange for me. For 82xx, pls try:
ftp://ftp.denx.de/pub/LinuxPPC/usr/src/SELF/images/ppc_82xx/ramdisk_image.gz

> could be programmed directly onto flash (bypassing
> putting it into ram first and then copying it into
> flash) using CodeWarrior/WireTap CCS's "Flash
> Programmer" tool into next 8 sectors, starting from
> address 0xFFF80000 ?

Yeah, this is one possibel. The rule is that except
U-Boot image and it's environment parameters location,
you can program RMADISK anywhere except kernel home in
FLASH.

> Aternatively - if I am to strictly follow steps
> outlined in DULG/Manual: 7.6. "Standalone Operation
> with Ramdisk Image"
> I am not clear on addresses used there ?
>
> My "normal" (without ramdisk) booting sequence is:
> => tftpboot 200000 uimage
> => bootm 200000
>
> So what addresses I should use in:
>
> => tftp "/tftpboot/SIMPLE-PPCBOOT-ramdisk"

Just 't 100000 SIMPLE-PPCBOOT-ramdisk' is enough for
download it to RAM.

> => cp.b

cp.b 100000 <Your-RAMDISK-Location>  $(filesize)

> and
>
> => bootm

Pls set U-Boot boot command as required before the
debug. Like:
=>set flash_self 'run ramargs addip; bootm
$(kernel_addr) $(ramdisk_addr)
=>set ramargs 'setenv bootargs console=tty0
console=ttyS0,9600 root=/dev/ram rw

Then just type:
=> run flash_self

Yeah, you need program linux kernel to FLASH as
$(kernel_addr) in this way. Or what does mean
Standalone Operation, anyway?

Best regards,

Sam