[U-Boot-Users] DULG/Manual: 7.6. Standalone Operation with Ramdisk Image

Alexander Povolotsky pevnev at juno.com
Tue Sep 21 16:11:59 CEST 2004

Wolfgang - You are (as always) correct - it was a typo in my posting, sorry.

Indeed I have downloaded correct ramdisk_image.zip

apovolot at USPITLAD104868 ~/fadsroot
$ ls -l ramdisk_image.gz
-rwx------+   1 apovolot ????????  1400198 Sep 20 19:11 ramdisk_image.gz

 from the:

ftp://ftp.denx.de/pub/LinuxPPC/usr/src/SELF/images/ppc_82xx

Now when this detail is clarified, Wolfgang - could you please answer the actual questions posted (I will retype it below for your convenience) ?
(I think your answer will clarify/supplement info you already have in 7.6 of your manual).

TAI, Alex
**************************
On PQ2FADS-VR board the U-Boot is programmed into flash sector started at the address 0xFFF00000 (and ending at 0xFFF3FFFF I presume).
The next sector on the flash (starting at 0xFFF40000 and ending at 0xFFF7FFFF ) is used for U-Boot environment variables.

Does it mean that a minimal ramdisk image ramdisk_image.zip " could be programmed directly onto flash (bypassing putting it into ram first and then copying it into flash) using CodeWarrior/WireTap CCS"s "Flash Programmer" tool into next 8 sectors, starting from address 0xFFF80000 ?

Aternatively - if I am to strictly follow steps outlined in DULG/Manual: 7.6. "Standalone Operation with Ramdisk Image"
I am not clear on addresses used there ?

 My "normal" (without ramdisk) booting sequence is:
 => tftpboot 200000 uimage
 => bootm 200000

In more details i have:

=> tftpboot 200000 uimage
Using FCC2 ETHERNET device
TFTP from server 192.168.1.100; our IP address is 192.168.1.103
Filename 'uimage'.
Load address: 0x200000
done
Bytes transferred = 864364 (d306c hex)

=> imi 200000

## Checking Image at 00200000 ...
   Image Name:   Linux-2.6.8-rc4
   Image Type:   PowerPC Linux Kernel Image (gzip compressed)
   Data Size:    864300 Bytes = 844 kB
   Load Address: 00000000
   Entry Point:  00000000
   Verifying Checksum ... OK

 So what addressess I should use in:
1.
 => tftp "/tftpboot/SIMPLE-PPCBOOT-ramdisk"

 and in
2.
 => cp.b

 and in
3.
 => bootm

 steps ?

PS:
per suggestion from Himba for 1. : "Some flash address after the end of kernel image should be fine."

the "tftpboot" address should be  >= (00200000 + "864300 Bytes") ?

Is there U-Boot command to complement "imi" which would give the address
of the next available sector on the flash after the kernel image, where ramdisk inmage could be put (to avoid calculations) ?

 Thanks,
 Best Regards,
 Alex

In message <20040920.173127.26706.915588 at webmail12.lax.untd.com> you
wrote:

> Does it mean that a minimal ramdisk image ramdisk_image.zip "for
> first tests" for 82xx, which I have downloaded from:
>
>  ftp://ftp.denx.de/pub/LinuxPPC/usr/src/SIMPLE-PPCBOOT-ramdisk

Please confirm that you downloaded a file  from  this  link.  It  was
rmoed  a  long,  long time ago and should NOT point to any valid data
any more.

If you have this file, then remove it. Don't even attempt to  use  it
on a MPC82xx system. It was never meant for this.

The DULG section you quote correctly lists:

        "Ramdisk images for tests can be found in the
        ftp://ftp.denx.de/pub/LinuxPPC/usr/src/SELF/images/
        directories."

so please use these instead.

Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88  Email: wd at denx.de
There are bugs and then there are bugs.  And then there are bugs.
                                                    - Karl Lehenbauer